An Australian permanent resident is someone who holds a permanent visa but is not a citizen. A permanent resident can live, work and study without restriction in Australia.
|出入境澳洲||澳洲公民自动享有入境澳洲的权利。A citizen has an automatic right of entry to Australia.||如果是澳洲永久居民身份，由于持有的不是澳洲护照，出入境澳洲需要持有有效的签证才可以。If a permanent resident chooses to travel internationally they need to ensure they have a permanent visa with a valid travel authority if they wish to return to Australia as a permanent resident.|
|投票选举||澳洲公民享有投票选举权。A citizen can vote in Australian government elections.||一般情况下，澳洲永久居民身份不享有投票选举权。In most cases permanent residents can’t vote in Australian government elections. However, if a permanent resident was enrolled to vote (as a British subject) prior to 1984, they may remain eligible to vote.|
|政府服务和福利||享有政府服务和福利。Eligibility for government services and benefits depends on the rules set by the relevant government agency responsible for the service or benefit.||享有政府服务和福利。Eligibility for government services and benefits depends on the rules set by the relevant government agency responsible for the service or benefit.|
Generally, those over the age of 18 who apply for Australian citizenship must:
- have passed a citizenship test (unless over the age of 60)
- be a permanent resident at the time of application, and also, at time of decision
- satisfy the residence requirement
- be likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia
- be of good character.
Any adult who became a permanent resident on or after 1 July 2007 must have been lawfully residing in Australia for four years immediately before applying for Australian citizenship. This includes:
- 12 months as a permanent resident
- absences from Australia of no more than 12 months
- absences from Australia of no more than three months in the 12 months before applying.
- 居住澳洲 live in Australia
- 申领澳洲护照 apply for an Australian passport and to leave and re-enter Australia without applying for a resident return visa
- 在海外时可以请求澳洲外交使馆的帮助 seek assistance from Australian diplomatic representatives while overseas
- 从事公职岗位 work in the public service
- 可以入伍 serve in the armed forces
- 入籍后，其在海外出生的子女可以通过继承获得澳洲国籍 register as Australian citizens by descent any of your children born overseas after you become an Australian citizen
- 可以竞选议员 stand for Parliament
- 可以投票选举 vote to elect members of Parliament