A7.1 Objectives of the Privacy Act 1993
The objectives of the Privacy Act 1993 include:
- a.promoting and protecting individual privacy;
- b.establishing principles for collecting, using, and disclosing information about individuals; and
- c.establishing principles for allowing each individual access to information about them that is held by public and private sector agencies; and
- d.providing for the appointment of a Privacy Commissioner to investigate complaints about interferences with individual privacy.
A7.5 Department of Labour Privacy Act Policy
The information contained in these instructions does not replace the Department’s Privacy Act Policy. Any request for information should be processed under that policy, which is available on the Department’s website www.dol.govt.nz.
- A 关于个人的个人信息，原则上根据规定6和规则7可能只有个别人需要进行；
- B 个人可能会授权某个机构代替其接受信息；
- C 根据(d), 新西兰持有当前的职业证书的律师以及持有移民顾问资质的人并不需要书面授权，可以代表其客户与劳工部同时采取行动。律师和授权移民顾问会为其客户指定关于个人信息的要求；
- D 如果持有客户信息的劳工部有关部门表明客户可能不会由律师或者移民顾问代表，这样的信息发布之前的权限可能被要求；
A7.10 Who may make a request under the Privacy Act 1993
- a.Requests regarding personal information by the individual concerned, under principle 6 (access) and principle 7 (correction), may only be made by that individual.
- b.Individuals may authorise an agent to receive the information on their behalf.
- c.Subject to (d) below, New Zealand based lawyers holding a current New Zealand practising certificate and licensed immigration advisers do not require written authority to act when representing their clients in interactions with the Department of Labour.Lawyers and licensed immigration advisers may make requests for the personal information of their client.
- d.If the Department of Labour has information which suggests that a client may not be represented by the lawyer or licensed immigration adviser requesting their personal information, an authority to act may be requested before such information is released.
- A 在为客户指定信息要求之前确定个人的身份很重要；
- B 员工不能授予权限，除非他们满足接收的个人信息，或者个人要求代理机构代表其完成申请；
A7.15 Establishing identity
- a.It is important to be assured of the identity of the individual making the request before releasing information.
- b.Staff must not grant access unless they are satisfied that the information will be received only by the individual it is intended for or by that individual’s agent if the agent makes a request on behalf of the client.
- c.Staff must be satisfied that agents have the written authority of the individual concerned or are otherwise appropriately authorised to receive the information.
- d.If a request is made by telephone or letter, staff must not release any information without first confirming the identity of the person making the request.
- B 如果信息由另一个机构或者是和另一机构紧密相关，那么这个请求必须在10个工作日内转移，并以书面形式通知请求者。
A7.20 Reasonable assistance and transferring requests
- a.Reasonable assistance must be given to the person making a request to ensure it is made in accordance with the Privacy Act and is to the appropriate agency.
- b.If the information is held by another agency or is more closely connected with the functions of another agency, the request must be transferred promptly but not later than 10 working days, and the requestor informed in writing.
- A 隐私法案规定的时间限制如下：
- i 请求迅速转移到另一个机构的时间不得超过10个工作日，而且必须以书面形式通知申请者。
- Ii 接到INZ下达的要求时，根据实际情况应该尽快给回复，可以合理推迟回复时间，但B不能超过20天。
- B 如果根据第41节的某个要求而被通知时间延长，申请人有权向隐私法案专员提出异议。
A7.25 Time limits
- a.The time limits under the Privacy Act are as follows:
- i requests transferred to another agency must be transferred promptly but not later than 10 working days; and the requestor informed in writing.
- ii requests being actioned by INZ must be responded to as soon as reasonably practicable but not later than 20 working days of receipt by INZ.
- b. If an extension of time is notified for one of the reasons permitted under section 41, the person requesting the information must be advised of the right to complain about the extension to the Privacy Commissioner. Only ONE extension can be notified.
A7.30 Urgent requests
Reasons why a request is urgent must be given and these should be taken into account when responding to the requ
A7.35 Charges for information
A public sector agency, including INZ, cannot charge for a request under the Privacy Act.
- a 距离客户居住地最近的机构一般会处理这些要求，或者是能够处理未完成的签证或者申请的机构。
- b 处理机构必须获取新西兰移民局的所有物理或者电子的档案和信息，无论这些信息是否在其他机构，MFAT 帖子，档案，在线，国家机关，或者是上诉结果。
- c 如果请求被转发到另一个机构(由于客户居住在另一地区或者是有未完成的签证或者申请)，可以对AMS提出要求或者向相关机构传真一份文件。请牢记，时间从新西兰移民局收到请求开始，一直到请求成功转移。建议那些向分支机构邮寄东西的申请者，转移一些物理或者电子的文件。
A7.40 Which Branch responds to the request?
- a.The branch nearest to where the client lives will normally process the information request, or if there is an undecided visa or compliance application, the branch that is processing that application.
- b.The processing branch must obtain all INZ physical and electronic files and information whether these are at other branches, MFAT posts, Archives, Online, National Office, or temporarily with the Immigration and Protection Tribunal pending the outcome of an appeal.
- c.If a request has to be forwarded to another branch (because the client lives in that area or there is undecided visa or compliance action), lodge the request on AMS and fax a copy to the relevant branch. Remember, the time starts from the date the request is received by INZ so forward the request promptly. Advise the requestor of the branch you have sent it to. Transfer any physical/electronic files.
- a 根据隐私法案，国家机关通常不会处理申请人的要求。通常接收到的请求会被转移到相关的处理部门。
- b 法庭不会处理新西兰移民局档案的要求。然而，法庭需要提供新西兰移民局一份申诉和决定的复印件，同时必须和新西兰移民局档案相关。出于对难民的尊重和保护政策，只需要提供有关要求的决定。
A7.45 Requests to National Office or the Immigration and Protection Tribunal
- a.National Office does not normally deal with requests for client information under the Privacy Act. Requests received by those offices will usually be forwarded to the relevant processing branch.
- b The Tribunal does not process requests for information held on INZ files. However, the Tribunal is required to provide INZ with a copy of the appeal and decision, and these should be on the relevant INZ file. With respect to refugee or protection decisions, only a copy of the decision is required to be provided.
- a 信息应该以正确方式提供.
- b 新西兰移民局提供：
- 来自AMS的Customer Interaction;
A7.50 Form in which the information may be released
- a.Information should be provided in the way preferred by the individual requesting it unless to do so would:
- i impair efficient administration; or
- ii be contrary to any legal duty of the agency in respect of the document; or
- iii prejudice one of the interests protected by the withholding provisions of the Privacy Act.
- b.Normally, INZ provides:
- i a photocopy of the information requested, including a print of the:
- Customer Interaction Notes from AMS; and
- Client Information Report; and
- Application Information Report for each application; or
- ii a reasonable opportunity to inspect documents, or listen to or view recordings; or
- iii an excerpt or summary of the information, if some information is being withheld or deleted from a document.
- a 标准新西兰无犯罪证明可能被披露；
- b 没有得到隐私法案官员的许可信息不可披露(隐私官员，国际警察主席，Box3017，Wellington等)
- c 这些请求需要反映单New Zealand Police at National Headquarters.
A7.55 Release of information originating from the New Zealand Police
- a.Standard New Zealand Police certificates may be released.
- b.Any other information originating from the New Zealand Police or from Interpol should not be released without consultation withPrivacy Officer/ Police National Headquarters/ Box 3017/ Wellington
- c.Alternatively, the request may be transferred to the New Zealand Police at National Headquarters.
A7.60 withholding information指南
- a. Withholding Information的原因：
- i 信息披露违背法律，包括预防，调查和侦察犯罪等；
- ii 信息披露可能会损害他人的利益；
- iii 信息披露会违反法律特权(客户和律师之间的机密交流信息，法律咨询等等)；
- iv 信息披露会违背新西兰安全保护法案或者是新西兰政府与国际的关系；
- v 信息披露可能影响新西兰政府在国际上的信誉；
- vi 信息披露可能会泄露秘密等；
- vii 信息不是随时检索可能存在找不到的情况；
- viii 信息披露可能损害个人的安全；
- ix 信息披露将造成法院对众议院的contempt；
- b 某些个人信息不会被公开，如包含在检查专员办事处和新西兰移民局，或者新西兰移民局等沟通信息，官方信息法案或者隐私法案等；
A7.60 Guidelines for withholding information
- a.The reasons for withholding information include (but are not limited to):
- i.disclosure would be likely to prejudice the maintenance of the law, including preventing, investigating and detecting offences, and the right to a fair trial (this includes information that would be likely to identify informants, or restricted information in the Operations Manual such as risk profiles); or
- ii.disclosure would involve the unwarranted disclosure of the affairs of another individual; or
- iii.disclosure would breach legal professional privilege (the confidentiality of dealings between client and lawyer, including requests for legal advice, the advice itself, any reference to the legal advice); or
- iv.disclosure would be likely to prejudice New Zealand’s security or defence or the international relations of the New Zealand Government; or
- v.disclosure would be likely to prejudice the entrusting of confidential information to the New Zealand Government by other governments or international organisations (it MAY be possible to release a summary of the information but withhold the identity of the source); or
- vi.release would disclose a trade secret or would be likely unreasonably to prejudice the commercial position of the person supplying or who is the subject of the information; and there are no countervailing public interest considerations, or(vii) the information is not readily retrievable or does not exist or cannot be found (this can only be used after a thorough, fully documented search has been made); or
- vii.the information is not readily retrievable or does not exist or cannot be found (this can only be used after a thorough, fully documented search has been made); or
- viii.disclosure would be likely to endanger the safety of any individual (for example, based on the past behaviour of the person likely to cause the danger).
- ix.disclosure would constitute contempt of Court or of the House of Representatives (for example, where a Court has made an order prohibiting publication of a person’s name or other details).
- b.Certain personal information is also excluded from disclosure such as information contained in any communication between the Office of the Ombudsmen and INZ, or the Office of the Privacy Commissioner and INZ relating to any investigation under the Ombudsmen Act, the Official Information Act or the Privacy Act.
A7.65 Reasons for refusal to be given and right of complaint to the Privacy Commissioner
- a 信息被隐瞒的理由必须明确，可以参考隐私法案中的适当的部分。
- b 质疑的人有调查的权利；
A7.65 Reasons for refusal to be given and right of complaint to the Privacy Commissioner
If information is withheld:
- a.the reasons why that information has been withheld must be given, with reference to the appropriate section of the Act (a copy of the withheld information must be placed in an envelope and put on the physical file);
- b.the requestor must also be advised of the right to seek an investigation and review of the refusal by writing to the Privacy Commissioner.
A7.70 Right to request correction of information
In all responses to information requests, (regardless of whether information has been withheld) the requestor must be advised of the right under Principle 7 to request correction of personal information; and to request that there be attached to the information a statement of the correction sought but not made.
- a 某些政府机构有权根据相关法律要求资料：
- i 1964年社会保障法案S11下，书面通知，要求申请人提供工作和收入等证明；
- b 1994年税法征收法案17节，也有相似的规定；
- c 提供这些信息并不是触犯了隐私法案；
A7.75 Requests for information by other Government agencies
- a.Some Government agencies are entitled to request information under relevant legislation. For example, under s.11 of the Social Security Act 1964 Work and Income (Ministry of Social Development) may, by notice in writing, require any person (including any person who is an officer or employee in the service of the Crown in a Government department or public body other than as an officer of a court) to provide Work and Income (Ministry of Social Development) or a specified employee of theirs with such information as the Director General requires.
- b.Section 17 of the Tax Administration Act 1994 gives similar power to officers of the Inland Revenue.
- c.It is not a breach of privacy to supply this information as section 7 of the Privacy Act states: “7. Savings:—Nothing in principle 6 or principle 11 derogates from any provision that is contained in any enactment and that authorizes or requires personal information to be made available.”
However, always ensure that the request is in writing and that it details the relevant statutory authority.
- a 处理这些信息的机构或者个人的身份等；
- b 披露的信息，符合306(1)?
- c 与当前的机构或者是个人是否有协议？是否是用这种情况？
- d 没有适用的协议的情况，考虑是否有可能的协议；
- e If the information is to be disclosed on a “one-off” basis check that the disclosure is carried out strictly in accordance with the requirements of section 305(7) and (8).
A7.80 Disclosure of information overseas under section 305 of the Immigration Act 2009
When releasing information overseas under section 305 the following steps are to be considered:
- a.Identify the agency, body or person that is to receive the information.
- b.Identify the information to be disclosed. Does it all come within 306(1)?
- c.Is there an existing agreement with this agency, body or person? Does it apply in the circumstances?
- d.If no agreement applies, consider whether an agreement should be developed.
- e.If the information is to be disclosed on a “one-off” basis check that the disclosure is carried out strictly in accordance with the requirements of section 305(7) and (8).
Note: If unsure whether to release information either under an agreement or on a one-off basis please contact the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment Legal Services for advice.